The number of people arrested in relation to rhino poaching has risen from 98 to 106. The majority of these, 101, were at the level of poacher, with the rest being receivers.
Latest rhino poaching figures (as of 23 May 2013):
- Kruger National Park (SANParks) - 242 rhinos poached
- Mapungubwe National Park (SANParks) - 0 rhino poached
- Gauteng - 0 rhino poached
- Limpopo - 28 rhinos poached
- Mpumalanga - 17 rhino poached
- North-West Province - 29 rhinos poached
- Eastern Cape - 0 rhino poached
- Free State - 0 rhino poached
- KwaZulu Natal - 33 rhinos poached
- Western Cape - 0 rhino poached
- Northern Cape - 0 rhino poached
The Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA) is urging members of the public to report incidents of rhino poaching or any tip-offs to the anonymous tip-off lines 0800 205 005, 08600 10111 or Crime-Line on 32211.